Saturday, September 10, 2011

Stage 8 - In the Books!
















Posted by Harlow

Distance: 30.20km/18.76miles
Ascent: 1807m/5928ft
Descent: 1882m/6174ft


I didn’t allow myself to think about finishing the Transalpine until I saw the sign saying 2k to go. At that point the sun was directly overhead and we were pounding down a gradual descent on a paved bike path through apple orchards.

It had been a tough day for me. Everyone else seemed to have an extra gear for the final stage and I kept lagging on the long climb that started the stage. Patrick had the decency to slow up and fall in behind me. He kept telling me little lies like “this is a good pace for me too.”


We did eventually crest the summit and then it was a good 15k of steep descending to the finish of the 2011 Transalpine. On the descent I clumsily caught my toe on a rock while cruising through technical terrain and went down hard on both hands. It was a lucky fall, because if my hands hadn’t come out in front of me, it would have been my head that took the brunt of it. Nevertheless I was cursing myself for the lapse in concentration. A broken bone would have been a discouraging way to end this thing after coming so far.

I redoubled my focus and fell in behind Patricknas he shifted into road gear and we hammered out the narrow winding roads down to the valley. Then all that was left was the orchards and the 90 degree heat. After 170 miles and some 55,000 feet of climbing that 2k felt like eternity. Slowly but surely though, we hit the outskirts of town, then we could hear cheering spectators, then as we rounded the corner, there was the finish line. The cheers along the sides of the tiny Italian cobblestone street propelled us the last 50 meters.

Then we were done!

Really done. No stage tomorrow. Medal around the neck, beer in hand.

Patrick and I worked hard to prepare for this adventure. In the end it was everything we hoped for an more. We were humbled and inspired by the quality of the competition and stoked to meet so many cool people - runners and non runners alike - from various corners of the world. We passed through breathtaking country on every stage. And we competed well - finishing 19th overall and 12th in the “Men Under 40” category. There were some 320 teams to start this event and approximately 250 finished. I tip my sweaty, muddy, bloody Skinny Raven cap to them all!

There is much to be thankful for. My surgically repaired knee held out spectacularly despite all the technical downhill stuff. We had tons of great support from Patrick’s wife Heidi and his girls Grace and Roses and from my Dad and Sarah. I don’t know how we could have done this without them. I'm thankful to my wife Gina for lettting me do this and pulling double duty for me at home. I miss you Gina, Eli and Rowan!



I’m thankful not to be preparing for another stage tomorrow. I’m thankful not to suck down another gu or drink electrolyte drinks for a while.

And I’m thankful that Patrick and I have become better friends for this. The Transalpine has the potential to test a friendship. We both ebbed through highs and lows through the eight stages and we both had our moments of frustration and exhaustion. But I always felt like Patrick had my back when I needed support - and I hope vice versa.

Later, we’ll share some impressions and pictures from this grand adventure. Right now it is time to have a nice cold beer!

9 comments:

  1. Right On: Congratulations you guys on an epic 8 days of running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never a doubt that you'd ace it, H-man. Nice job, Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats guys! Well done. Christie and I are cracking a beer to help celebrate your accomplishment from across the pond. I enjoyed reading about the highs and lows. Have a great recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rock, you did it, so proud of you! Have a great time and smell those roses. Did you know, they make good beer over there :-)

    Jens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well written, Harlow. And extremely well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys, well done.

    You deserve several beers and lots of rest. Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been following you guys since Day 1. I ran the 2007 TAR with Brian Lawler, who was in it this year again, now 61 years old. You guys are young and strong and it was a pleasure to read your blog and watch you hold steady in the standings each day. It's a great race - hope to try it once more someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to both of you! And thanks for making the extra effort so we could all follow along. It's been fun!

    ReplyDelete